I Did It!! My First Trip Is Complete

Yesterday I got back from my first trip out with Bridget. My daughter had asked me to meet them at a campground in Oregon for a couple of nights. I wasn’t going to go but with a lot of encouragement from family, friends, and some of my Facebook groups, I decided it was time. 

I had never hitched up a travel trailer and I have a weight distribution and sway control system which I had no idea how to hook-up. I knew my brother (Bruce) would be on this end to help and my son-in-law (Ryan) would be on the other end. I had a safety net so there would be no better time. Time to put on my  Bravelet and my big girl panties and go. 

My Bravelet

I spent a day getting prepared. I checked the fluid levels in the truck, checked the air in the tires, you know, the safety stuff. The day I left my brother came down to help and teach me how to get safely hitched and ready to tow. We hit some snags. There were parts missing that were necessary for the hitching system. It was a bit of a fiasco and took a lot of time.  Poor Bruce spent several hours trying to get me set-up properly.

Ready to go!

Eventually we got everything set-up properly and I was ready to go. I won’t skip the part where I had a small melt-down just before pulling out of the driveway.  I pulled it together, glanced at my Bravelet and away I went. 

Just arrived at the campground!

The drive was good. I had a variety of roads to experience. There were highways, back roads, steep grades both up and down and some fairly narrow and tight turns. I stopped at a rest area about half way down to check all the connections. Better safe than sorry. I finally arrived around 5:30 PM. Ryan came to find me and guide me into the site. 

The kids loved the little sliding door and Murphy loves the kids.

We had a fun couple of days filled with campfires, s’mores, and snuggles and just like that it was time to go home. 

We added Oregon to the map on my door. Two down, forty-seven to go. 

I didn’t have to unhitch when I arrived because the site was so long and I didn’t need to drive anywhere so getting ready to go was easy. 

The drive home was good. I even had to stop and fill my fuel tank. Getting in and out of a gas station can be tricky but I did OK.  

I pulled into my cozy little spot at my brother and sister-in-law’s house around 2:30. Bruce directed me so I could get on the blocks and get level. They helped me get unhitched and settled and then I realized just how exhausted Murphy and I were. I finished settling in and just plopped down on the couch for the rest of the evening. 

One down but so many more adventures to go!

Happy Independence Day!

0 thoughts on “I Did It!! My First Trip Is Complete”

  1. It's strange how a huge life change or two can squash your self-confidence. I'm working hard to get it back so I can do what I love.

  2. I know very well how you feel. After having a couple of big snafus and one that almost was a big problem, I'm beginning to relax when pulling solo, as I always do. You ARE brave and deserve a well-deserved pat on the back!

  3. I have been pulling trailers since 1970 and on the road full time since 10-07-07 and I still get very jittery every time I couple up and pull out. So you are not the only nervous RVer. Just check everything three times and roll on.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll to Top