RV trip planning is about deciding where you want to go, how to get there, and where you plan to stay. There are a lot of other things to keep in mind.
In the last two years, we have had to contend with COVID restrictions, lockdowns, masking requirements, and more. While planning my fall and winter itinerary I oped to visit very rural, sparsely populated places, and I never use the facilities at gas stations, rest areas, or RV parks so I think it’s fairly safe to travel.
RV Trip Planning – Choose Key Locations First
I’m planning to visit many National Parks on this trip. This is a rough outline of my itinerary. I find it works well if I choose key locations that are high on my priority list and build a trip around those locations.
My Favorite RV Trip Planning App
I use Roadtrippers for my travel planning. I like to see the whole trip on my screen. I also really like the flexibility of the program.
This plan is for a fall trip so I’ll leave in early to mid-September. If all goes well, I should be able to get all the center states filled in on my visited states map. This route allows me to visit a lot of National Parks;
- Glacier NP, Montana
- Theodore Roosevelt NP, North Dakota
- Badlands NP, South Dakota
- Wind Cave NP, South Dakota
- Monument Rocks and Chalk Pyramids NP, Kansas
- Gateway Arch NP, Missouri
- Indiana Dunes NP, Indiana
- Great Smokey Mountains NP, Tennessee
- Mammoth Cave NP, Kentucky
- Hot Springs NP, Arkansas
- Joshua Tree NP, California
- Death Valley NP, California
- Sequoia NP, California
- Kings Canyon NP, California
- Yosemite NP, California
I’m also working on my RV trip planning for the second part of my trip after the holidays. I’ll come home for Christmas and then head out again after the new year begins.
More National Parks are on this itinerary.
- Redwood NP, California
- Pinnacles NP, California
- White Sands NP, New Mexico
- Big Bend NP, Texas
- Guadalupe Mountains NP, Texas
- Carlsbad Caverns NP, New Mexico
- Great Sand Dunes NP, Colorado
- Petrified Forest NP, Arizona
- Grand Canyon NP, Arizona
- Great Basin NP, Nevada
- Lassen Volcanic NP, California
- Crater Lake NP, Oregon
Finding Places to Camp
After getting a rough idea of the major places I want to visit, I head over to Campendium.com and find places to camp. You can read more about that process in the post below.
Do you have a favorite planning app?